Operations Purchasing Manager – Electronics and Electrical Components – Lutterworth (with travel between Sites and Suppliers), Leicestershire
Our client is a long-established electronic manufacturing service (EMS) provider employing over 370 people and a turnover in excess of £35million. They take great pride in providing a wide range of high complexity industrial electronics solutions and outsourced manufacturing products for worldwide clients in a range of Industries.
- This is a new role for an Operations Purchasing Manager or Senior Operations Buyer looking for the next step in their career. You will have a strong manufacturing background to lead and drive and inspire a small team of operational buyers and develop team and supplier strategies to improve performance and build relationships. Provide support to the Purchasing Managers and work closely with other functions to drive procurement operational excellence. You must be flexible and able to travel frequently within the UK and Europe.
Your key duties and responsibilities will include:
- This is a people management and leadership role so you will be responsible for a small team of buyers who own supplier relationships at an operational level and support their performance and development.
- You will have the responsibility for delivering results and improvement with support from the Purchasing Manager (TCO, OTIF and lead-time, supplier rationalisation, inventory and quality).
- Reduce supplier base via preferred suppliers / supplier partnerships. Help drive and maximize efficiencies.
- You will be responsible for supporting the Purchasing Managers to deliver against the departmental Inventory strategy. You will work to KPIs for this area to ensure stock turns and inventory reduction plans are delivered according to the policy you will develop together.
- You will coordinate the communications to the business on shortages and operational supplier performance, offering improvement plans and solutions where necessary.
- You will be responsible for working closely with the Purchasing Managers and Strategic Buyers to ensure that supplier contracts are reviewed and maintained in line with business requirements, suggesting opportunities for improvement and cost reductions where possible.
- You will actively participate in and contribute to departmental management meetings to support budgeting activities on PPV, freight and travel along with setting future strategy.
- You will be responsible for ensuring that operational purchasing activities are compliant according to company requirements through the development of a robust compliance process for inbound materials.
- You will lead the operational purchasing team to deliver Quarterly Operational Business reviews with key suppliers and manage supplier audits from an operational capability standpoint in conjunction with the Purchasing Manager and Strategic buyers. This will involve travel to multiple UK and European suppliers.
- Liaising with engineering/commercial team to identify areas of standardisation and optimal design solutions for procurement from NPI to end of life.
- Liaising with commercial team to maximise opportunities for cost reductions on direct materials.
- You will be a point of escalation for the business on any Purchasing query.
- Coordinate with cross-functional business teams to develop an agile and responsive Purchasing process to enable production planning to support customer demand.
- You will manage non-conforming product from identification and disposition through to cost recovery, ensuring that corrective actions are in place and communicated to key stakeholders effectively.
- You will support the Sales, Inventory and Operating planning process by analysing supplier capacities and developing plans to ensure that the business can provide new and existing customers with a dynamic solution to their requirements.
- You will own and manage the process for inbound freight arrangements, working closely with the indirect buyer to obtain cost reductions, improved efficiencies and reduced carbon footprint.
- You will work closely with Logistics and Production Managers at all sites to ensure that material handling is minimised and continuous improvement activities fully supported.
- Responsible for the supply of resource to help with the larger new business RFQ’s e.g. metalwork, pneumatics, electrical
- Manage the crossover between operational and strategic; identifying lines that are being ‘spot’ ordered through MRP that lend themselves to being placed on LOI
- The management LOI buffer stock held at suppliers, regular supplier buffer reviews alongside the strategic buyer’s management of LOI agreements.
As the Ideal candidate you will poses the following skills and qualities:
- Proven management or leadership within an operational buying team or looking for that next step in your career as an experienced buyer who has had management or leadership training.
- You must possess a strong sense of urgency, tenacity and ownership.
- You must be able to prioritise a heavy workload and re-evaluate regularly to accommodate current areas of focus for the business.
- You must demonstrate personal behaviours in line with the company culture and environment
- Strong desire to see people develop and grow.
- Displays emotional intelligence at all times and has a natural ability to assert yourself whilst being diplomatic during stressful situations.
- Strong knowledge of purchasing within a manufacturing environment, ideally low to medium volume, high complexity, electromechanical components, contract manufacturing or engineering
- Excellent ability to work and thrive in a fast paced, dynamic environment where lead times are short and demand is high.
- Lead and manage by example in a positive and constructive way based on financial targets, supplier development and individual performance etc.
- You must be flexible and able to travel frequently within the UK and Europe.
- Change agent who can identify opportunities for improvement and carry them through to implementation.
Qualification and Experience required:
Educated to degree level in business or engineering discipline or qualified by experience
CIPS certification preferred
Proven experience working in a purchasing / supply chain role.
Experience of working in a manufacturing environment essential, preferably in engineering, electronics or contract manufacturing.
Ability to interpret engineering drawings essential, with detailed knowledge of high tolerance machined products and electronic components
Experience of scheduling purchase orders for a dynamic customer base
A working knowledge of secondary processes for machined products
Working knowledge of MRP systems preferred, although training will be provided
An understanding of low volume purchasing would be advantageous
Intermediate user of Microsoft Office (Excel and Access)
Experience of manufacturing techniques and processes essential
Experienced in supplier sourcing, documentation, evaluation and selection
Keywords: Senior Operations Buyer, Operations Purchasing Manager, Electronics Purchasing, Manufacturing Purchasing, Metalwork Purchasing, Electro-mechanical Purchasing, Operations, Purchasing, purchasing Relationships, MRP, PCB, Component Buyer, procurement, Supply Chain, Lutterworth, Bedford, Milton Keynes, Northampton, Rugby, Kettering, Leicester, Leicestershire.