Accounts Assistant / Finance Assistant
Banbury, north Oxfordshire
Our client is an independent, co-educational boarding and day school in a delightful rural setting for students aged 11 to 18. An exciting opportunity has arisen for an Accounts Assistant / Finance Assistant to provide a professional and timely accounting service to the school’s small Finance Department.
The successful Accounts Assistant / Finance Assistant will have some experience within an office accounts or finance department and hold a recognised accountancy qualification (AAT) or be currently studying or willing to undertake study towards AAT.
You will bring a friendly, helpful approach to the team alongside excellent ICT skills (particularly Word and Excel), high standards of written and verbal communication plus outstanding levels of accuracy and attention to detail.
Hours are 37.5 per week, typically Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm. Some longer hours in term time will be balanced by more flexible hours in school holidays.
Your duties as an Accounts Assistant / Finance Assistant will include:
- Daily banking, including posting receipts and payments onto PASS, reconciliations of all subsidiary bank accounts, paying in cheques and cash at the bank
- Setting up prospective pupils on PASS, management of deposits received, updating and maintaining existing parent and pupil data
- Handling petty cash, invoicing, cash collection, creditor and debtor maintenance and balance sheet reconciliations
- Advising budget holders of their expenditure levels and answering any queries and assisting with the financial planning of events such school trips
- Providing information for auditors when required
- Ensuring the purchase ledger is accurately maintained and suppliers are paid in accordance with agreed terms and conditions
- Ensuring all invoices or expense claim requests are correctly calculated, approved, coded and comply with policies
- Reconciling supplier statements to supplier purchase ledger accounts
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and qualities:
- Experience within a similar school, college or office accounts, finance or administration role
- Ideally hold, or be studying towards, a recognised accountancy qualification (AAT). The School may contribute towards the funding for this
- Excellent ICT skills with ability to use Word and Excel to their full potential
- Familiarity with the WCBS PASS accounts system would be desirable
- High standards of written and verbal communication
- Able to work methodically with accuracy and excellent attention to detail
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to develop an effective rapport with colleagues and parents
- Ability to work proactively as a member of a team with shared goals
Salary and reward package:
- £16,000 - £18,000 per annum.
- 21 days’ paid holiday plus bank holiday
- Enrolment in the School’s defined contribution pension scheme
- School meals provided during working hours (eg. Lunch)
- Access at no charge to the School’s sporting, swimming and fitness facilities
- Free onsite car parking